If you’re heading to the beach or pool (or if you’re like me and like to always have certain essentials on hand) there are definitely some summer staples you’ll want to toss in your bag to help keep you cool and looking and feeling good.
A few of my summer staples include:
1. Water Bottle: You know my thoughts on drinking enough water, so I won’t bore you with that here, but just remember that it’s SO important to stay hydrated- especially in the summer. And don’t just wait until you’re parched, because by that point you’re most likely on the verge of dehydration. Tip: Keep a fun water bottle with you at all times to make sure you’re hydrating daily.Here’s one of my favorite bottles from S’well!
2. Sunscreen: Again, I won’t get into too much detail here, since at this point you’re probably well aware of the importance of sunscreen to help prevent burns, skin damage, and skin cancer. But, even if you’re just walking through the city and not intentionally laying out in the sun, it’s still super important to apply sunscreen. Check out some of my favorites here.
3. Healthy snacks: Keeping healthy snacks on hand is always something I recommend. This way, when hunger hits you have a healthy option and won’t grab something you’ll later regret. Plus it will help keep the “hangry” you in check, which no one wants around anyway. This time of year there are so many delicious and refreshing options to choose from, so find what you enjoy. Some of my favorites include: raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, and pistachios specifically), berries and cherries (toss some in tupperware and pack it in your beach bag), chia bars, KIND bars, organic popcorn, hard boiled eggs.
4. Hat: This is another great form of sun protection. I never used to wear a hat on the beach, because my goal was to get my pale skin any other shade of color, but as I’ve grown up, so too have my choices (most of them LOL!). Now, I’m a big advocate of bringing a hat to the beach, especially during the prime sun time, to help protect my face (no one wants wrinkles or premature aging!). I love a cute baseball hat or floppy hat- depending on my mood (and outfit), and it’s especially great at the end of the day when you’re hair might not have the nicest “beach waves”.
5. Book: One of my favorite things to do over the summer is to read a good book. And since I’m always reading nutrition and wellness books, articles, and blogs, I especially like books that shut my mind off and help me unwind. There’s something therapeutic about getting lost in a good book. I just finished reading “After You” (the sequel to Me Before You) which I highly recommend!
Any summer staples you always have on hand? Share them below! And then pack your bag and head out for a long weekend of relaxation, sunshine, and good food!