These days, having a full plate and constantly being on the go seems to be the norm, and it can be hard to squeeze in little “me” time let alone whip up a delicious gourmet meal morning, noon, and night. Between work, exercise, social engagements, and all of our other to-dos, our lives are pretty hectic, and eating healthy may seem like a challenge. However, having a busy schedule doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your health or nutritious food.
When your day seems nonstop and there’s no way you’re making it home before dinner, it’s crucial to plan ahead and make sure you are prepared with healthy snacks to fight off your grumbling stomach (and the vending machine).
Having healthy snacks on hand can make a world of a difference. Here are 5 fantastic, quick, easy, nutritious, and delicious snacks to throw in your mason jar, tupperware, or ziplock bag, so that you can take healthy on the go:
1. Smoothies: a quick and easy snack that packs a ton of great nutrients into one serving and in a delicious way. Smoothies also allow for a lot of creativity, so use your favorite fruits, veggies, protein, and other ingredients (including chocolate!) or try my staple green smoothie.
2. ¼ cup trail mix: always a great, go to snack that is easy to throw in your bag and munch on later, plus it can be tweaked to your liking. Try adding nuts, dried fruit, and dark chocolate for a savory and sweet mix! Just make sure to use raw, unsalted nuts; keep the dried fruit to a minimum and make sure there’s no added sugar; and choose at least 70% cacao dark chocolate.
3. Cut up veggies and 2 TBSP hummus or guacamole: an easy snack that you can prepare ahead of time and take on the go. Best part- veggies are low in calorie, but high in nutrients and fiber, so they’re a great choice to help you curb your hunger and lose weight. Add some hummus or guac to the mix to incorporate some good healthy fat and creaminess to create a filling and satisfying option.
4. Hard-boiled eggs: this snack is a great source of protein and healthy fat. Have two hard boiled eggs for a pick me up mid morning or when that afternoon crash starts to hit. This will give a good boost and help fuel you for the rest of your workday and workout!
5. Fruit and nut bar: bars are always an easy option for a snack, and you can keep a stash in your bag or desk drawer for when hunger strikes. BUT many bars are loaded with added sugar, dairy, and are highly processed, so it’s important to choose bars that have natural ingredients like nuts, dried fruit, and spices. Two brands that I recommend are Larabars and Kind bars.
Bonus: Chocolate! Yes it is still possible to enjoy chocolate! Just make sure it is dark chocolate with 72% cacao or higher. This ensures that the chocolate is mainly chocolate and not added sugars and fillers. Try one of my favorite bars!