For many people, Labor Day signifies the end of summer and the return to school and the daily chaos. For those of you who have worked all summer, this transition may mean a shift back into a more hectic and exhausting work schedule and lifestyle… and I, myself realized that my own routine needed an adjustment.
Regardless of your situation, it is necessary to take some YOU time, if not every day, then at least a few times a week. This can help you avoid getting burnt out at work, reduce your daily stress level, increase your energy naturally, and improve your overall happiness- sounds pretty awesome to me.
The way to really make this happen? Schedule it into your weekly planner. That’s right, put some “you” time into your calendar, just as you would a doctor’s appointment or a meeting. This will help you block of that much needed time and really help you stick to it.
Set your alarm 15 minutes earlier in the morning (I know, it’s hard enough getting out of bed), or schedule in time during your day. It doesn’t matter when- do what works for you- the key is to schedule it and commit to it. I try to make time first thing in the morning for myself and do a quick yoga practice to help stretch and wake up my body and mind, sit and have a cup of hot water with lemon, and make a smoothie or other nutritious breakfast to help start my day off right. I also aim to take a break from my work and busy schedule at some point during the day and/or evening to have some “me” time and also spend time with others.
Here are a few ways you can take care of YOU:
- Start your day with some breathing exercises to help clear your mind of any stress or bad energy
- Exercise first thing in the morning to help energize and prepare you for your day
- Take time to enjoy your breakfast in peace and quiet,without doing a million other tasks
- Take a yoga class, spin class, zumba class- whatever gets you excited and moving
- Get a massage
- Read a good book
- Take a relaxing bath or shower
- Spend time with some friends, family, a significant other- anyone who makes you smile
These are just some ideas to get you going. Bottom line- it’s so important to take care of yourself and do things for YOU. By making yourself a priority, you’re able to be at your best and live your best self ;).