SPRING is the time to lighten things up, shed the winter layers, and spend time outdoors in the sunshine. It’s a time of new beginnings and fresh starts.
Spring is also a time to review your daily eating and living habits and make some positive, healthy, and seasonal changes. And as we move into spring it is the perfect time to incorporate lighter, fresher, whole foods and to cleanse our bodies and minds.
To get you started on your own personal transition into spring, I’ve provided a list of tips that will help clean up your health and life, and kick those winter habits goodbye:
1. Drink a lot of water: water is one of the easiest and most important ways to get healthy and cleanse your body. Our bodies are made up of approximately 60% water, so they require a great amount of water on a daily basis to function at an optimal level. Water also helps with elimination (aka: it flushes out toxins and cleanses your organs). So drink up and aim to consume at least 1/2 of your body weight daily.
- Bonus: Jazz up your plain old water with lemon, lime, cucumber or other fresh fruit and veggies. Not only does this add natural flavor, but it’s also a great way to give your body more vitamins and nutrients. LEMON is one of the best fruits you can add, as it has cleansing properties and helps assist with the detoxification process in your liver.
2. Create a morning ritual: more specifically, try dry brushing a few mornings before your shower. Dry brushing is a quick and easy process that helps exfoliate your skin and remove dead skin cells, reduce cellulite, and give your lymph system a boost (which helps with detoxification). You can purchase a dry brush at any health food store.
- Click here for an easy how-to of dry brushing.
3. Add more GREENS: greens are naturally detoxifying, so adding greens, such as spinach, kale, swish chard, cucumbers, and celery, will help you cleanse your system. And since spring is a time for cleansing, it’s only appropriate to up your intake of greens. Additionally, greens are loaded with vitamins, minerals, nutrients, phytonutrients, and fiber- which makes them quite the superfood to incorporate into your diet.
- Not a fan of greens? Mix them into a smoothie with fruit and natural sweeteners (like raw honey or stevia) and you won’t even notice how healthy you’re eating, because it will taste that delicious!
4. Sweat: moving your body and sweating is one of the best ways to get rid of impurities and toxins and keep your skin and body happy. Aim to sweat at least 4 times a week to really reap the benefits. This can be anything from yoga, to a spin class, to taking a brisk walk with a friend. Just get your body moving and sweating.
5. Increase your fiber with whole foods: fiber is a crucial part of the detoxification and elimination process. It helps remove waste and keeps you feeling fuller and more satiated for longer. The best source of fiber is from whole foods, like fruit, vegetables, and healthy fats. Aim to have at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
- And if you’re increasing your fiber, make sure to increase your water consumption to help keep things running smoothly 🙂
6. Breathe: slowing down and focusing on your breath can help you de-stress, slow your heart rate, and stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system, which helps with relaxation. Practicing deep breathing exercises regularly- especially during times of stress- will help you better cope with stressful situations, calm your nerves, make you feel centered, get rid of stale energy, clear out your mind, and stop the production of excess cortisol in your body, which leads to belly fat.
- One of my favorite exercises is one I learn from Dr. Andrew Weil: simply breath in through your nose for a count of 4, hold for a count of 7, and exhale through your nose for a count of 8. Focus on your breath, repeat this 3-4 times, and enjoy the calm, grounded feeling it gives you.
7. Clear out the clutter in your mind: our minds have such a hold over how we feel on a minute to minute basis, and when we have a lot going on, such as to do lists, worries, stress, work, life, etc… it’s very easy to get overwhelmed and stressed out. By clearing this mental clutter you will provide more space, clarity, and energy for much more important things.
- How to go about doing this? I am personally a BIG fan of my notebooks and writing things down (some might say it’s a little obsession 😉 ). But that’s because it works! It helps me clear my head, get organized, and be more productive. Write down what’s going on in your mind and consuming your attention, and by getting it onto paper you will get it our of your head. And this will automatically help you clear up some space.
8. Spruce up your living space: just as your body and mind need some spring cleaning, your living space might need a makeover as well. If you’re living in physical clutter, this will absolutely lead to mental clutter and blocks.
- Throw out papers and junk; organize your desk, drawers, and closet; get rid of “things” that do not serve you; add some fresh plants and flowers to your space; incorporate pops of color (such as a throw blanket or decorative pillow). These will help you tidy up, get organized, and add some more beauty and calm to your life.
Have spring cleaning tips of your own? Share them in the comments section below!
Want my “10 Seasonal Foods to Enjoy In Spring” and a sample “Spring Menu“? Join my mailing list!!