Summer might be one of my favorite times of the year. I love laying on the beach, having a picnic in the park, eating outside at my favorite restaurants, and enjoying the long, warm days. It’s literally an instant mood lifter for me! But, although summertime is synonymous with bathing suits, beaches, and sunshine…. there are many occasions that tempt us to overindulge and leave us wanting to cover up- instead of flaunting those cute summer dresses and bikinis.
With July 4th weekend coming up… and all of the bbqs, beach trips, and summer outings that you might have planned for the next couple of months, it’s very easy to forgo your healthy lifestyle and undo some of those great changes you’ve made.
But, don’t fret…..
It IS possible to eat well AND enjoy yourself this summer.. and below are some of my favorite tips to help you out:
1. Hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate some more!
– Drinking water is one the MOST important things you can do for yourself, your digestion, your energy, and your overall health.
– Spice up your water with summery fruit flavors. Add berries, lemon, or orange to your water for some natural sweetness and yumminess.
2. Have a healthy snack BEFORE heading out.
– Before your bbq or pool party, eat a healthy and nourishing snack. Try to incorporate some form of protein and healthy fat to keep you satiated. This will prevent you from walking into the party starving and making a beeline to the buffet table (and loading up on all of the unhealthy foods).
– Try a green smoothie or juice, some homemade trail mix, veggies and guacamole, or a brown rice cake with almond butter.
3. Fill up on the good stuff.
– When eating out, try to load half your plate with veggies/ greens. This will ensure that you’re getting good nutrients into your body… and help fill you up, so you’re not as tempted to reach for the cupcakes. Then fill 1/4 of the plate with lean protein and 1/4 with healthy carbs (think sweet potatoes, beets, quinoa, brown rice, etc.)…. then leave some space at the end for that yummy splurge. But just a piece 🙂
– Example: big mixed green salad with raw and/or cooked veggies, burger/turkey burger/ veggie burger (without the bun), grilled sweet potato fries.. yum!
4. Drink wisely.
– We already discussed hydrating with water (which you should continue to do throughout the party), but if you choose to drink alcohol, choose wisely.
– Enjoy a glass of red wine, vodka and club soda with fresh lime, or a healthy homemade mojito with natural sweetener… and be sure to drink water in between, as alcohol is dehydrating to your body and skin.
– Avoid drinks that are heavy in sugar, gluten, and empty calories, such a margaritas and beer.. these will just leave you feeling blehhh!
5. Enjoy your company.
– The best part of summer… and social gatherings in general… is socializing and spending quality time with friends and family. So, take your focus off the food and shift it to your lovely company.
Summer is often a time where we can cut back on the craziness of everyday life and have some more free time. So, take advantage of this and slow down and enjoy good food, your amazing friends and family, and a healthy and fun-filled summer!