Sometimes I have a recipe in mind and head to the store to pick up all of the ingredients. And sometimes I leisurely peruse the food store and grab all my favorite ingredients… and then go home and whip up a meal around a specific food. And the other night was that kind of night, with the featured food being SunButter… a favorite nut butter alternative that my boyfriend and I both LOVE. It’s creamy, salty, and slightly sweet. The perfect combo- especially when it’s part of dinner!
We typically avoid peanuts because, as explained by The Body Ecology, peanuts are more susceptible to fungus, which promotes yeast overgrowth and also produces aflatoxins, which can cause liver damage. Additionally, peanuts are actually a legume, not a nut, and when eating at home we try to keep the grains and legumes to a minimum… just for our own personal preferences.
That being said, we love peanut sauce… a lot… so, I decided to take my love of the two (sunbutter and peanut sauce) as well as my desire to eat clean, and make a sunbutter dipping sauce for our chicken. The result= 1 happy boyfriend and a new favorite dish!
This meal is extremely easy to make and perfect after a long day when you’re tired and craving a comfort meal without the negative side effects. Don’t give up your favorite foods- just healthify them!
Chicken SunButter Satay + Greens
100% vegetarian fed, free range, antibiotic and hormone free (organic if possible) white meat chicken strips or 2 chicken breasts**
Head of broccoli
4 cups mixed greens
1 cup mushrooms
1/2 cup SunButter
1.5 tbsp tamari sauce (gluten free)
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp warm water
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1. In large sautee pan, add 2 tbsp coconut oil and bring heat to medium
2. If using chicken breast, cut into strips. Add chicken to pan and cook thoroughly until lightly brown on each side
1. Chop up zucchini, avocado, and mushrooms
2. In a large bowl add mixed greens and veggies
3. Top with 2 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Directions (SunButter Dipping Sauce):
1. Add sun butter, tamari, lemon juice, honey, & warm water into bowl and whisk together or throw into blender.
2. Pour into a serving bowl and use as a dip for the chicken
Serve meal on pretty dishes to spice it up a notch and… Voila! Meal is done and bellies are about to be happy… enjoy XO
** for more info about all those labels and options for chicken, click here