With the weather dropping, I’ve definitely been craving warming and hearty foods, but I’m experimenting with avoiding the typical grains that accompany the cooler months. That’s where root vegetables come into play…. they’re hearty, delicious, sweet, and add so much flavor and texture to any meal!
This dinner was extremely easy and quick to make, and it didn’t take much prep work either. Aside from chopping up some veggies, the majority of the time wass spent letting the food cook- my kind of meal :).
Michael and I have also been really into making meals that we can throw into a bowl and mix together. Makes it more fun… and easier to sit on the couch together and watch Homeland (and no, I don’t condone eating while being distracted, but sometimes it just happens).
Try it out for yourself to help you warm up and unwind after a long day.
MEAT & ROOT VEGETABLE BOWL
– Serves 2 (or more- depending on your hunger level)
1 package vegetarian fed, free-range, hormone- free ground chicken
2 small sweet potatoes
1-2 cups (depending on your preference) butternut squash chunks- I bought these pre-chopped b/c it’s so much easier than cutting yourself 🙂
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp coconut oil
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with tin foil.
2. Chop up the sweet potatoes and place in a bowl with butternut squash and onions. Add olive oil and sea alt and mix together. Then spread out veggies across the baking sheet and bake for approx. 40 mins.
3. About 15 minutes before the veggies are done, add coconut oil to a large saute pan, heat, and add ground chicken. Cook chicken entirely and then add turmeric, sea salt, and garlic powder. Use as much or as little as you desire. Turmeric is an awesome, super spice that helps fight inflammation and boost your health.
4. Once chicken is done, place it into the two bowls, top with veggies, and finish off with a few slices of avocado.
Talk about a well balance, Paleo, super easy and satisfying meal!