Coconut Oil. The hip and healthy fat that’s taken over the wellness world. Before I get into all the reasons I love this oily goodness, I want to first preface this by saying that just because it’s “cool” doesn’t mean I support it… I always give things a try myself before passing on the wellness word.
So, without further adieu, here are some of the reasons why I love it so:
1. It can withstand a high heat, so it’s literally the perfect oil for cooking. While other oils break down and lose their nutrients, coconut oil keeps it’s superpowers in tact.
2. It’s anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. Just some added bonuses that you get when cooking with (or otherwise ingesting) coconut oil. Inflammation causes a TON of health issues from arthritis to indigestion to weight gain, so it’s important to put out the fire and keep your body healthy.
3. It is an awesome source of healthy fats. And healthy fats are necessary to help burn fat, stabilize your blood sugar level, boost energy, and lose weight.
4. Boosts your metabolism: coconut oil is made up of MCT’s (Medium Chain Triglycerides), which are quickly absorbed by the body and then metabolized as fuel. Basically, when you consume MCTs, your metabolism soars. So, instead of storing this as fat, your body converts it to fuel and burns it.
And now for my favorite ways to use coconut oil…
1. Cooking and baking (it gives a nice flavor without be too “coconutty”).
2. Oil pulling. For those of you questioning what this is- it’s a natural remedy of extracting toxins from your mouth to help promote oral cleanliness and overall health. Not to mention it also helps whiten your teeth.
3. Moisturizer: What you put ON your body is equally as important as what you put in your body. Whatever is put on your skin gets absorbed almost instantaneously into your blood stream- so you want to make sure it’s good and clean. And coconut oil is amazing at softening the skin- I just recommend using it at night, as it can be a bit “oily” ;).
4. To tag onto #3- it’ great for softening your cuticles and moisturizing your lips.
5. Makeup remover: I often use coconut oil to take off my eye makeup before washing my face. Gets off all the makeup- including those extra coats of mascara- without scratching or irritating your eyes.
6. Shaving cream: Most shaving creams contain a ton of chemicals that aren’t good for your body. Coconut oil is all natural and adds much needed hydration and moisture to your body as you shave.
7. Coffee creamer. Before you get completely disgusted, hear me out. I personally drink my coffee black, but if I do want a little creaminess, coconut oil actually adds a nice touch. And, because of all it’s amazing properties (MCTs), it also gives you an extra boost.
Are you a fan of coconut oil? If so, what’s your favorite purpose for this superfood?