We often equate eating healthy with consuming more vegetables, less sugar, and no alcohol. While all of that is extremely crucial, the quality of your food is super important as well.
Michael and I joined a CSA this summer through The Wellnest, where I work as a Nutritionist, and one of the best parts of joining this program is that I know that all of the produce we get is not only fresh and organic, but it is also in season.
Why is it important to eat with the seasons?
- There are a ton of health benefits from eating foods within their natural season
- The produce is picked when it is ripe and fully developed (adding to its nutrient density)
- It tends to be less expensive, since there is typically an abundance of the food
- There are less pesticides, gmos and added chemicals, since seasonal produce takes less maintenance
- Through programs like a CSA, you are supporting local farms and your community
So, now that you know why it’s important to eat in season, below are some seasonal fruits and vegetables for you to enjoy all summer long:
So in between your beach trips and pool parties, try to hit up your local farmers market, join a CSA or try and purchase foods from your supermarket that are locally sourced- this will ensure that you’re getting delicious, ripe, and seasonal foods to help you get the most bang for your buck 👊